Model Undercover: New York - Carina Axelsson
I was provided a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

As it turns out, this is the second book in a series. I unfortunately did not read the first book, but I don't think that it's necessary for background information to keep up with this story. Any holes were filled in conveniently, leaving you without the need to guess.

Model Undercover: New York is the story of 16 year old Axelle, who in her own right is a self assured young female. She finds herself in New York from London for Fashion Week. Axelle is in the beginning stages of her "career" as a model, however, she is really there to help solve a mystery within the fashion world. Although fashion/modeling is a hard business to get into (so I've heard), Axelle has many opportunities handed to her because her mom conveniently has connections. Fortunately, she is good at modeling and the jobs keep rolling in. But she is more interested in being a detective. Modeling jobs are her cover to helping solve this mystery. Honestly, I tired just trying to keep up with her schedule and her ability to balance it all.

At times it felt as if I was reading Axelle's diary due to the style of writing used. Generally, this isn't a bad thing but it did present some inconsistencies for me. For example, Axelle is working secretly on solving a case. Her modeling jobs surround her with her list of potential suspects, who don't know she is a working the case. However, she talks candidly about her findings, etc on phone calls while getting her hair and makeup done.

Other than some of the issues I had with the writing style, I did enjoy this book for what it was - a YA mystery. It didn't have fluff; Axelle seemed down to earth, even if she was a 16 year old navigating New York City for a week on her own