Flunked  - Jen Calonita

Flunked takes us on a not so typical fairy tale adventure.

Gillian is one of the children that live in the shoe. The fairy princesses in charge have enacted a magical shoe production, a production that has devastated Gillian's family financially. To make ends meet, Gilly has taken to a not so legal means to earning money…she is stealing. Because of her indiscretions she is sent to Fairy Tale Reform School.

Fairy Tale reform school is filled with the misfits, the students, and “reformed” villains, the teachers, of Enchantasia. Gillian and her group of new found friends uncover a plot to over through the princesses with the Reform School playing a key role in the evil revolution.

Twisted tales have become very popular of late in both adult and children literature. Flunked is Jen Calonita’s imaginative take on this new teen and tween storyline. In her telling, Calonita uses reformed villains to pull the “at risk of becoming villain” children back into their societies norms. She also uses the not so hero/heroine characters as the only hope to save Enchantasia.

The story is absolutely based for a younger audience. I found it enjoyable but written with the young at heart, with their decision making and actions fitting their ages. It had plenty of action and twists that also opens a lot of directions for further installments in this series. For me, I found it to be a little to uncomplicated for 5 stars but I’m sure this will be a huge hit with the tween crowd.

I received this ARC copy of Fairy Tales Reform School: Flunked from Netgalley.