Material Girls - Elaine Dimopoulos
All the The Devil Wears Prada and Confessions of a Shopaholic will love reading this book, as this book is rich and deep with fashion and trends and glitter and sparkle. Moreover, the author enlightens us about how a finished apparel begins it's journey from being a piece of cloth to ending up behind the glossy and shiny windows of a top-notch fashion brand's store. It was really delightful to read about those technical stuffs related to creation of apparels.

The author created a parallel world to ours in her story where trends last only for few weeks and they are decided the governing body and everybody must stay "in" trend and must obey them blindly. Apart from that the dystopian world that the author created in her book was pretty vague with no supporting back-story to tell us about how these trends became the lifeline of the government etc and other stuffs like that, so it was a big let down for me.

The author have vividly portrayed the vulnerable yet glamorous life of a pop-diva who tried real hard to stay on top of the billboard, who is everyday threatened by her competitors to take away her limelight, who tries hard to sty with the latest fashion trends despite of those free samples of clothes and other accessories. Her life is equally beautiful, sad and dangerous, and that the author have captured well.

The writing is good, the narrative style is also kind of articulate, in fact the book has got a steady pace without much drama, but there are lot of actions against the government, especially the rebels who can't afford to follow those trends.

Overall it is a strong and compelling book with an edgy theme but not very promising. Fashion freaks will have a great time while reading this book, and if you're a huge sci-fi YA fan, the you must read this book.

Verdict: Don't miss out this enchanting and enlightening dystopian novel about latest trends in fashion.

Courtesy: I'd love to thank the publisher for getting me a copy of the book in return for an honest review. (less)